Tuesday 18 September 2007

Rock Climbing - Kambah Rocks

Went to Kambah Rocks (River Crags) – Canberra - on Sunday with my wife’s cousin (Brett) for his first rock climb. Brett flashed The Bummer (14) on his first ever climb. We met up with a guy, Bogdani, who was self belaying on what I think was Romance in the Cow Paddocks (20). Real nice guy. He gave Brett some belay training and backed up Brett’s belay of my climbing, which was woefully weak after cross-country skiing for eight hours on Saturday (climbed from Guthega to Mt Twynam, down to Watson’s Crags and back). That’s my excuse anyway and I’m sticking with it. My wife had a good time taking photos of us and trying to catch the elusive fish in the river (plenty jumping, not biting). My wife even enjoyed the walk in, which is about 20 minutes from the car park, following the river.

Brett climbs "The Bummer" (14)

The rock there is really fantastic (basalt – nice to have a choice other than granite), and is super hard and grippy. Plenty of interesting routes there, and heaps of bouldering potential around that area of the river. This is going to be a great place for summer afternoons when the rock face is in the shade.

Nick on "The Bummer"

1 comment:

awareness said...

Hey there Adventure guy. I have been meaning to leave a comment but everytime i read one of your adventures, I'm winded and in need of a post adventure drink or two......no energy to leave a comment! :)

I am LOVING your descriptions of your skiing and climbing expeditions, the pics and various aussie terminology which I offers me the opportunity to dig out my aussie dictionary for help in interpretation.

You know what strikes me about this particular adventure of yours AND the accompanying pic? I have almost the same pic of you, climbing a cliff on Crete.....without safety gear of course or shoes! Do you remember that beach we all ventured to on the motorbikes?

Enjoy your week........it must be warming up there? It's cooling down here......